Joel Mohrman is the senior litigator for intellectual property matters for McGlinchey Stafford. He has tried over three dozen cases to verdict as first chair for Fortune 500 companies as well as for individuals and other companies.
Joel has been trying cases for 35 years, and has appeared in the courts of a dozen different states in which he has been admitted pro hac vice.
The majority of Joel's practice is concentrated on intellectual property litigation, specifically patents, trade secrets and covenants not to compete. Joel has also litigated copyright and trademark matters. Over the years, Joel has handled approximately 100 trade secret and covenant not to compete cases. Joel also has handled numerous class actions, complex commercial litigation up to nine figure amounts and many cases involving financial institutions.
Because of Joel's extensive litigation and trial experience Joel has obtained three board certifications:
- Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Civil Trial Law
- Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, a division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification (an American Bar Association Affiliate)
- Certified as an Advocate by the National Board of Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy, a division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification (an American Bar Association Affiliate)
Indicative of his depth of experience handling intellectual property matters and his outstanding reputation in the legal community, Joel is frequently invited to speak to industry groups and other organizations on various intellectual property and litigation topics. For example, Joel joined the prestigious faculty of the American Conference Institute's expert forum on employment trade secret protection and litigation.
He has been a member of the management, nominating, business development, compensation and policy committees of McGlinchey Stafford, and is a part of the E-discovery initiative of McGlinchey Stafford. Joel is one of the team leaders of the firm's commercial litigation section. He is the former managing partner of the Houston office of McGlinchey Stafford, having stepped down to focus on building the intellectual property litigation practice for McGlinchey Stafford.
- American Bar Association, Former Chair and Current Vice Chair for the Business Litigation Committee for the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section; Former Chair and Current Vice Chair of the Intellectual Property Committee; Former Member of the Finance Committee, Former Member of the Annual Program Committee, Member of the Revenue Enhancement and Membership Committees; Litigation, Intellectual Property, and Law Practice Management Sections.
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Foundation Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Houston Bar Association, Member of the Litigation Committee and has presented numerous seminars for the HBA on various trial tactics and other litigation related matters.
- State Bar of Texas, Member of the Anti-Trust, Litigation and Intellectual Property Committees.
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Named an "IP Trade Mark Star" and an "IP Patent Star" in Texas, Managing Intellectual Property's IP Handbook, 2013–2016
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent ® Peer Review Rated Lawyer
- Texas Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2012, 2014–2016
- Selected in 2014 as a Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubbell®
Community and Other Activities
- ESCAPE Family Resource Center, Former Board Member and Former President (twice), Leader of the Real Estate Task Force
- St. Luke's United Methodist Church, President of the Board; Board Member; Executive Committee Member of Personnel, Finance, and Building Committees; Sunday School Teacher; and Lay Leader
- Mercury Orchestra, Former President, Board of Directors, Former Secretary