Rudy J. Cerone is a member of the firm's commercial litigation section with primary emphasis in the areas of business and complex consumer bankruptcy and commercial litigation. He is a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy and is certified as a specialist in Business Bankruptcy Law by the American Board of Certification (1993) and by the Louisiana State Bar Association Board of Legal Specialization (1996). Rudy has been named by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Business Lawyers." He has also been selected for inclusion in The International Who's Who of Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers 2007 and Best Lawyers in America in the area of bankruptcy and creditor-debtor rights law.
While in law school at Boston College, Rudy was member of the Order of the Coif, Executive Editor of the Boston College International and Comparative Law Review and received the Lyne, Woodworth & Evarts Best Law Review Editor Award (1979).
- Jordan v. Louisiana Gaming Control Bd., 712 So.2d 74 (La. 1998) (declaratory judgment action re: Gaming Board authority to agree to bankruptcy-negotiated amendments to Casino Operating Contract).
- Matter of T-H New Orleans Ltd. Partnership, 144 B.R. 327 (Bankr. E.D. La.), aff'd in part, rev'd in part, 148 B.R. 456 (E.D. La. 1992), aff'd in part, rev'd in part, 5 F.3d 86 (5th Cir.), opn. withdrawn and superseded, 10 F.3d 1099 (5th Cir. 1993), cert. denied, 511 U.S. 1083, 114 S.Ct. 1833, 128 L. Ed 2d 461 (1994) (hotel revenues as cash collateral; likelihood of reorganization).
- Matter of T-H New Orleans Ltd. Partnership, 188 B.R. 799 (E.D. La. 1995), aff'd, 116 F.3d 790 (5th Cir. 1997) (plan confirmation).
- First Nat'l Bank of Boston v. Beckwith Machinery Co., 26 F.3d 580 (5th Cir. 1994); 650 So. 2d 1148 (La. 1995); 56 F.3d 577 (5th Cir. 1995) (lender-lien holder priority dispute).
- Matter of Delta Towers, Ltd., 112 B.R. 811 (E.D. La. 1990), aff'd in part, rev'd in part, 924 F.2d 74 (5th Cir. 1991) (Section 506(c) surcharge).
- United Cos. Financial Corp V. Davis, 148 B.R. 16 (W.D. La. 1992), aff'd, 12 F.3d 209 (5th Cir. 1993) (bifurcation of residential mortgage claim).
- Interfirst Bank Clifton v. Fernandez, 844 F.2d 279 and 853 F.2d 292 (5th Cir. 1988) (deficiency judgment action).
- In re Louisiana World Exposition, Inc., 832 F.2d 1391 (5th Cir. 1987) (directors' and officers' liability policies are not property of the corporation's bankruptcy estate).
- General Elec. Credit Corp. v. Guillory & Son Mobile Home Sales Inc., 822 F.2d 545 (5th Cir. 1987) (deficiency judgment action).
- In re NCC Inc., 213 B.R. 483 (E.D. La. 1997) (third party release in confirmed plan).
- Elmwood Dry Dock and Repair v. H & A Trading Co., Ltd., 167 B.R. 412 (E.D. La. 1994) (stay relief).
- Matter of Tahkenitch Tree Farm Partnership, 156 B.R. 525 (Bankr. E.D. La. 1993) (appointment of chapter 11 trustee).
- Matter of Executive Office Centers, Inc., 96 B.R. 642 (Bankr. E.D. La. 1998) (trading in claims).
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Secretary and Executive Committee Member (2010–2015) and Member, Board of Directors (2006–2015); Co-Chair, Caribbean Insolvency Symposium (2015–present); Co-Chair, Bankruptcy Litigation Committee (2006–07); Chair, Hospitality, Entertainment Venue and Gaming Subcommittee (2001–2005); Southwest Bankruptcy Conference Advisory Committee; Business Reorganization Committee
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Business Bankruptcy Committee, and Secured Creditors Subcommittee
- American Board of Certification, Secretary, Treasurer, President and Chair and member of the Board of Directors; Executive Committee
- American College of Bankruptcy, Fellow (2001–present)
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Crescent City Capital Development Liquidating Trust Trustee
- Harrah's Casino New Orleans/J.C.C. Holding Company, Board of Directors
- The International Association of Gaming Attorneys
- Louisiana Bankers Association, Member, Bank Counsel Section
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Chair of the Bankruptcy Law Advisory Commission, Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization (2002–04); Chair of the Consumer Protection and Bankruptcy Law Section (1994–1997)
- The New Orleans Bar Association, Chair of the Bankruptcy & Debtor/Creditor Rights Committee (2001–2003)
- Chambers USA Louisiana / Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Corporate/M&A
- The Best Lawyers in America® (Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law), 2007–2017
- Martindale-Hubbell™ AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated Lawyer
- Louisiana Super Lawyers (Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights), 2007–2017
- Louisiana Super Lawyers "Top 50: Louisiana Super Lawyers," 2017
- Louisiana Super Lawyers "Top 50: New Orleans Super Lawyers," 2017
- "The International Who's Who of Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers," Who's Who Legal, 2007
- "Top Lawyer: Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law," New Orleans Magazine, 2015–2016
Community and Other Activities
- Piazza D'Italia Development Corporation of the City of New Orleans, Member, Board of Directors, 2003–2008
- Greater New Orleans Italian Cultural Society, Member; Board of Directors, (2001–2008); Chairman (2005–2007); President (2003–2005); Treasurer, (2001–2003)
- American Italian Sports Hall of Fame, Member, Organizing Committee (2002–2008)
- Krewe of Tucks, Member (1986–present); Float Captain (1990–present); King (1999)