Consumer Financial Services 101 2023Read Time: 1 min
Member Kelly Lipinski (Cleveland) will co-present a section on “Consumer Financial Services – Auto Finance” on Wednesday, October 4, 2023, during the Practising Law Institute (PLI) Consumer Financial Services 101 2023.
Kelly and her co-presenter will offer a review of auto finance basics, including:
- Auto finance terminology, such as indirect finance, direct purchase money loans, and refinance loans
- Common business models and the roles of dealers, finance companies, and direct lenders
- Legal frameworks, including Regulation Z, Uniform Consumer Credit Code, and motor vehicle sales finance laws
- The time price doctrine, negative equity, and common fees charged by dealers
- The FTC Holder Rule and relationship with dealer conduct
- Leasing, including a discussion of Regulation M, state laws, and difference with credit
- Vehicle titling, including lien perfection and release
- Servicing and recovery, including right to cure, reinstatement, and Uniform Commercial Code
PLI’s Consumer FInancial Services 101 program is designed for legal professionals who are new to consumer financial services practice or may need a refresher on key consumer financial services legal requirements. The agenda features a comprehensive review of consumer finance laws and regulations, defining key terms and identifying relevant regulatory bodies while spanning a range of consumer finance products, from auto loans and credit cards to investment products in its review.