Amanda S. Stout is of counsel in the firm's Baton Rouge office. Amanda's defense practice is focused on the areas of commercial litigation and labor and employment law. Her commercial litigation practice includes a focus on consumer finance litigation and general business litigation representing businesses in a wide range of commercial lease disputes, contract disputes and related commercial litigation matters. In her labor and employment practice, Amanda represents management, providing counseling and preventive advice to businesses and other organizations and defending employers in disputes with their employees and former employees.
Labor and Employment
Amanda has defended local governmental entities as well as private employers against various allegations of violations of federal and state statutes governing discrimination, harassment, whistleblower claims, wage and hour claims and noncompete agreements. Additionally, Amanda has represented employers in responding to allegations brought before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights and the U.S. Department of Labor. Amanda also works with clients to prevent employment claims by drafting policy manuals, conducting training seminars for managers and employees and advising clients on employment decisions, such as hiring and termination.
- Summary judgment granted in favor of national bank dismissing customer’s demand for reimbursement of in excess of $480,000 which was fraudulently transferred by the customer’s employee to the employee’s personal checking account.
- Summary judgment granted in favor of national bank / lender dismissing mortgagee’s claim to remove private mortgage insurance from the mortgagee’s mortgage loan account.
- Summary judgment granted in favor of national bank / lender dismissing mortgagee’s claim for wrongful foreclosure and return of the mortgaged property following sheriff’s sale.
- Summary judgment affirmed dismissing state and federal disability discrimination and retaliation claims against nationwide supplier of facility maintenance products.
- Summary judgment granted in favor of national auto parts dealer dismissing plaintiff's pregnancy discrimination claim
- Negotiated a significant reduction in overtime payments during a FLSA employee misclassification investigation by the US Department of Labor for a management services provider to public and private housing agencies
- Obtained dismissal of race discrimination claims under the federal Fair Housing Act and state Equal Housing Opportunity Act under investigation by the Louisiana Department of Justice for regional property management firm and owner of the property
- Nelda McManus v. Continental Airlines, Inc., Civil Action No. 11-1838 (W.D. La. 6/6/13)
- James Palmer v. Chase Home Finance, LLC, Civil Action No. 11-1564 (E.D. La. 1/15/13)
- Walid Mizyed v. Delta Air Lines, Inc., Civil Action No. 12-0382, (E.D. La. 05/15/12)
- Mizyed v. Delta Airlines, Inc., 2012 WL 1672810 (E.D. La. 5/14/12)
- Mary Ann Tigert v. American Airlines, Inc.; DAL Global Services, L.L.C., 2009 WL 521597 (W.D. La. Dec. 28, 2009), aff'd No. 10-30069, ____ F.3d ____ (5th Cir. Aug. 10, 2010)
- Kevin Sterling v. City of New Roads, Civil Appeal No. 10-30113 (5th Cir. 6/25/10)
- Lacaze v. W.W. Grainger, Inc., 2005 WL 1629936 (W.D. La. 7/7/05), aff'd, 2006 WL 678669 (5th Cir. 3/16/06)
- Louisiana State Bar Association, House of Delegates (2012-2013 and 2013-2014)
- Baton Rouge Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section Council (2010, Chair 2011, Past-Chair 2012); Judge Joseph Keogh Award recipient, 2009; Belly up with the Bar Committee (2005, 2006, Co-Chair 2007, Chair 2008, 2009), CLE Committee (2013)
- Dean Henry George McMahon American Inn of Court, Secretary (2007-2009)
- The Federal Bar Association, Baton Rouge Chapter
- "Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year", Louisiana State Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, 2012
- "Outstanding Service Project of the Year", Louisiana State Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, 2012
Community and Other Activities
- Capital Area United Way, Board of Directors, 2012-2016
- First United Methodist Church, Education Council Chair, 2007-2010; Church Council, 2008-2010; Executive Committee, 2008-2010; Education Council, 2006